Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Impact Massage Therapy School Had on Me


Throughout my entire senior year of high school, I was positive that I knew exactly what God wanted me to do with my life. I had made up my mind before it even started, and I was quite stuck to it. I mean, why wouldn't God want me to go to a private Christian college? All I wanted was to learn and grow closer to Him, so this just HAD to be what He wanted for me. It didn't matter that it was so early in the year, I turned down every other option or opportunity that came my way.
I will never forget the day when I got the phone call that changed everything. It was from the college, and when I hung up I realized that God was closing the door. It wasn't meant to be, and I knew that all those plans I had made would have to change. I was rather embarrassed, and at my graduation party I still told everyone I was going to this Christian college, even though I didn't really have any idea what to do.
The week after my graduation, I remembered one school that I had heard a bit about that I decided was worth looking into. Carlson College of Massage Therapy. Massage was not something I wanted to do, but I thought it'd be a cool skill to have so I could work and pay my way through another school, majoring in whatever I REALLY wanted to learn. My mom and I visited, and I decided I did like it. It was affordable, relatively close to home, and a short program that I could just go through then move on. I sent in my application the next day.
Talk about taking a leap of faith! I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know why God had put this particular school in my path. I wasn't totally excited about it. I was not at all interested in the medical field, I wasn't particularily fond of touching people, I was dreading having to take anatomy and physiology, and I had just found out that I had Rheumatoid Arthritis. My fingers, wrists, elbows, ankles and toes ached... great idea, choosing a career that requires using your hands 90% of the time, right?!
I don't even know what brought me to school on the first day. I was even scared about driving all the way out to Anamosa on my own. I had minimal public school experience and was very nervous about meeting all new people, and having to be at school from 8:30-4 every day! Somehow, I made it there. And praise God that I did!
Every single day since then, I have seen a new reason of why God wants me to be here. I have always wanted to help people in life, and this career has given me a new way to reach out and touch people's lives. It started in the classroom, making friends with the coolest classmates I could have ever hoped for, and getting to be with them for a good portion of the week. Now, it's reaching out to the community. Volunteering at races and hospitals was a great experience, and in just 11 days I get to start clinic and work with all sorts of people!
Like I mentioned before, I was not at all interested in the medical field. So how did I get here you ask? Well somehow, I was under the impression that massage was a luxurious, relaxing thing and had nothing to do with health or wellness. BOY WAS I WRONG! But I learned that I actually really do like it~ learning about the human body is so fascinating to me. Anatomy and Physiology were SO much easier than I thought, and just learning about how God created us was incredible. This has opened my mind up to so much more that I could do after school, I am so thankful He tricked me into coming here ;)
Not only has Carlson helped me come closer to God and become better at relating with people, it has also helped me physically in miraculous ways. Two and a half years ago I was in a car accident, where I was hit from behind and pushed into the car ahead of me. Ever since then I had this neck pain that wouldn't go away. It caused many headaches and much pain every day. Through receiving massages at Carlson almost daily (benefit of being a student!) I am happy to say that the pain is almost completely gone, and everyday I can live and feel great physically. I can testify that what we're doing at school is really working, and I can give relief to people having the same pains I had.
And about the arthritis? I haven't had pain in months! You could say it's because school is encouraging me to eat healthier and take better care of myself. Or maybe because I stretch my joints every day before massaging. Maybe it's from receiving massage. Well whatever it is, I know God is at work, and He led me to this school for multiple reasons. This being one. I say it's a miracle.
When I give a massage, I always start with a prayer. I pray that God would lead me as I do the work, and I pray for whoever I'm about to work on. It always makes me feel more positive, and I truly feel like I am using my hands in the way God intended for me. I am so excited to start clinics, and then graduate and move on to do whatever He has planned for me. It's all so exciting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment