Monday, December 1, 2014

An Unforgettable Thanksgiving

Hello wonderful readers! I hope everyone had a blessed and meaningful Thanksgiving!

This weekend was the one we had been looking forward to for months. This was what we've been training for all fall. I'm so excited to share all about our crazy adventures throughout this week!


We enjoyed a quiet, filling and delicious Thanksgiving dinner with Mitchell at his new house. After that, we packed up the leftover food and our hiking gear and took off! 

Sidewinder Mountains, somewhere between Tucson & Phoenix.

I don't care that this photo is blurry, it still shows off the beautiful colors in the sky on Thanksgiving evening. This is North of Phoenix.

Here's the short version of what we did: We spent Thursday night in a hotel in Seligman, AZ, which was only about a 4.5 hour drive from Tucson. Early Friday morning, we drove the rest of the way North to the Havasupai Hilltop. From there, we began our trek down and through the canyon to the Supai village. For our first day, we hiked down around 10 miles, checked in at the lodge, and hiked another 4 miles round trip to see some of the waterfalls. On day 2, we hiked from the lodge in Supai all the way to the Colorado river - 20 miles. The last day, (Sunday) we hiked back up the canyon, 10 miles to the car, then drove straight home! In case you weren't counting, that equals 44 miles in 3 days!

Just a sneak peek of what's to come later - check back later this week for more pictures and stories!

As you can imagine, it was a crazy whirlwind of a trip with many details and preparations to plan for. All of the hikes were filled with challenges, snack foods, would-you-rathers, and incredible beauty all around the canyons and rivers. This week, I'm going to break down the hike into the stories of all 3 days, as well as share our advice for anyone who may be interested in a trip like this. We put a lot of effort not only into our preparing to hike, but also into packing and meal planning, and maybe you'll find some of our tips helpful. If nothing else, be sure to check back later for dozens of pictures and videos showing off God's incredible masterpiece that is the Havasupai reservation and the Grand Canyon!

I have to say though, I've had some memorable and meaningful Thanksgivings, but this one was the most unique. It was so refreshing to get away from society for a few days, and not be bogged down by consumerism or social media. I was able to see beyond my normal list of what I'm thankful for and appreciate my God in whole new ways. 

I'm thankful for all the natural beauty that God created for us to enjoy. 

I'm thankful for God's justice - as evidenced by the worldwide flood and how it formed the canyon we were walking through. 

I'm thankful for God's forgiveness and mercy - promising to never flood the whole earth again, and for salvation that's found through Him. 

I'm thankful for all the food, water, and clothing we were able to carry down in the 3 backpacks with us. 

I'm thankful for my husband, for his patience and encouragement the whole way through.

I'm thankful for friends - new and old - to get to experience this adventure with.

I'm thankful for God's great hand of protection, because it's only through Him that we survived both the hiking and the driving. 

That's all for today - check back later for more pictures and stories about our experience! Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment